Saturday 27 October 2012

babies..........

I have had some white plumed honeyeaters in the garden.............they are fairly common but I haven't really noticed them like I have this spring.............so while they may have visited before I think they have only moved in more this spring..................anyway I had kept seeing them in my bougainvillea ......a thicker bushy climber......but it is where I walk several times a day every day..........I kept looking to see if I could find a nest as I had a nest of willy wagtails near by............could never find anything.........the weekend before last Fairy Girl and I were out there doing things..........we both looked and looked.........Fairy Girl was cleaning out some stuff nearby and she was sure like me there must be a nest..........finally Fairy Girl spotted it..........we were looking in too far...........this little nest was hanging out on the edge of the climber under a few leaves...........anyway these are the pics we took that day........3 little babies in the nest............
when I took this one they thought I was Mum coming back with food..........
look how the nest is bound to the branches..........
orange bale twine, umbrella grass, threads, bits of fluff.........
Here is a photo of Mum that I grabbed.............she is fast so not that easy to snap..........
Anyway I found some more info here about the white plumed honeyeater................
the photos below are one week later........and they left the nest the next day...........
Whatever their parents feed them it is good stuff..........they grew so fast............when I looked up the info they said they incubate the eggs for 14 days and then in the nest for 14 days so the top photos they must have been about 6 days old and these about 13 days old..........
the little nest is bursting.............
Now I am enjoying seeing them fly around the garden...........
Catch you later............
Chookyblue...........

26 comments:

Annie said...

What great pictures, and exciting to follow their growth. I am excited about my canaries at the moment, as they have had a couple of tries, but finally there is a baby, cheeping in the nest waiting for food. In the garden I have lots of NZ Honey Eaters. They are very happy here.

Susie said...

My gosh! How adorable to see those little babies. Has brightened up my day just seeing a photo of them. Let alone seeing them up close.

Lynny said...

oh thankyou for sharing your lovely photos and story about the baby birds, so wonderful to see....hugs

Susan said...

Just gorgeous - how big were those mouths!!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Aren't they just beautiful. I have never seen them before. I only get the blue faced honey eaters up this way. I loved your photos and I am sure every mother could relate to the sqwaking mouth open 'i'm starving' episodes. Thanks for sharing.

Patty C. said...

So sweet ;)

Susan said...

It's lovely when birds choose your garden to nest in, and you get to see the babies. Good to know that your threads are being used for a good cause.

Jo in TAS said...

Wow they grow so quick, that nest must be very strong!

Nedra said...

The one with all the babies with their mouth's open is the cutest picture! It captures how I sometimes feel when my grandchildren are hungry!

Tracy said...

They are sweet Chooky. I have noticed quite a few nests (of different birds) this year. Maybe I am being more observant or maybe they are moving in a bit closer to the house.
They do go quickly don't they. Which isn't surprising given how much they seem to eat with the constant trips back and forth the parent birds make.

Anonymous said...

ohh how beautiful,nature at its best,thankyou for sharing Chooky.xx

Grethe said...

Oh, how nice to see these rare photos of nature; great to watch them grow. Thanks for letting us see your expert pictures !

Cath said...

What a lovely experience for you and to be able to take photos - extra special. I have been keeping an eye on some nestlings while on my dog walks. Just sorry I was unable to take photos.

Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Maria said...

Oh!!!! So cute...

gracie said...

Thank you for sharing such lovely nature pictures.

Annie Kingma said...

Mooie foto's en wat leuk dat je ze ons laat mee genieten.
Groetnis Annie

Pauline said...

beaut pics chooky....love them

Googy Girl said...

they are really cute, love the photo of the mum

Sue SA said...

Gorgous shots, thank you! We have yellow winged new holland honey eaters, and never seen a different variety, so really enjoyed watching them grow up! Wow imagine being their Mum, you get to suffer new baby through to teen years all within weeks and turn around and do it all again the next year...with triplets!

Terry said...

There's not much better than baby birds to make me smile! Thanks for sharing these adorable little ones! :0)

Gayle said...

Stunning photos, love the one of the babies with their mouths open. Beautiful part of the world you live in.

Sisbabestitches said...

Aww so cute. No wonder they leave the nest so early, pretty tight in there. Maybe that's what parents should do with their grownup kids still at home, make their rooms too small for them, lol

Wendyb said...

Isn't nature just beautiful.....and amazing! Loved your photos and story chooky!!! How cute are they and how on earth do the fit in that nest at the end??? Bit too squeezy for my liking!!!! LOL
xox sugary hugs
wendy :O)

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

Such great photos Chooky! ...better than National Geographic! Xx

Cubby House Crafts said...

I love having babies in the garden...spring is the BEST time of year! Love your photos!
Lisa

Cherry Pie Designs said...

great images...lovely post