Monday 29 October 2012

more chicks...........

the last of the chick hatchings for now............a few weeks ago we had a few try to hatch but they died..........Saturday late Fairy Girl found 2 chicks in the nests..........she got a chick and Mr Chooky got the hen (much to his disgust - he HATES touching chooks) and they put them into a cage.......
they were missing the second one but then it fell out from the hens feathers.............I checked out the 2 chickens yesterday afternoon........very cute.......went to feed them today and thought I saw three............no I am just nuts and it is the bars on the cage confusing me...........cause I could then only see 2 when I looked again...........then Fairy Girl came over and she said OMG there are three chickens.......we checked together and yes definitely three..............oh thank goodness I am not seeing things after all.............
it must have been tucked up in mother hens feathers to.........they all look the same.............who knows what they will grow up to look like as the hens have kept changing which nest they were sitting on..............
it's pretty hard to get photos in this cage as the bars are close and get in the way............here is one of the chicks poking up in mum's wing below...........
there won't be any more for now as I threw all the remaining eggs out...........some are laying fresh eggs in the nests and the hens keep moving around so now all the eggs are gone...........most left were rotten anyway................
one of the nest stank but we realised why I just thought it was broken eggs smelling but there was also a dead chicken there too...........yuck............so now any clucky chooks will be put in a cage to make them unclucky.........
These are now about 8 weeks old............you can see the earlier posts here and here
these are about 5 weeks old...........all growing fast.........you can see the first post here..........
and see the green guy in the middle.......
.......it's a Mallee Ringneck............
I love being able to catch photos of the different birds in my yard........
I have some Willy Wagtail ones to share too..........
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue

18 comments:

Susan said...

Love the chicks....we have so many eggs at the moment that I can hardly keep up.

Deb R said...

Awww sooo cute, we have a broody hen with 11 eggs...lets hope half of them hatch. Love spring!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Very cute

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Very cute

Tracy said...

We have ducklings at the moment and they are cute too. I feel for Mr Chooky, I hate touching birds too. Spring is a great time even if it is very dry this year.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

very cute chickens Chooky i didnt realise what work was involved in keeping an eye on them and love your little Mallee Ringneck.xx

Salley said...

Great Photos of your rellies, Chooky.
I feel for Mr Chooky....I hated chickies when I was small...peck peck peck. Now I would kill to be allowed them in this posh suburb.

Needle 'n Thread with SuziQ said...

The chicks are just so beautiful - just love that black head poking out of Mum's wing - hen looks like a Light Sussex - beautiful natured chooks.

Bring on the bird pics, I just love the Mallee Ringneck - we certainly don't get him in Sydney!!!

Even the willy wagtails have disappeared - too many minor birds.



DAWNIE said...

Some more of your lovely photos. Just love the Chookies

Cathy said...

Glad your not seeing things!!

Robyn of Oz said...

There's something about bantams and chicks. Our bantams would raise the big chook's babies as well as their own. It was funny when the chicks were half grown and were almost half the size of the little hens.
Congratulations on your new babies and good luck on 'unclucking' the clucky chickens.

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

Love the Chooks.....and glad your eyesight is OK! having problems trying to post...hopefully I'll get it right today...if we have connection....all is good Xx

Alberta Gal, Shauna said...

I love baby chicks. My hubby refuses to allow them at our farm. Maybe one day we will get them.

Lynn said...

Beautiful chickens. I'm learning fast about them, my husband just finished a chicken coop!!

Cubby House Crafts said...

Gosh your chicks have grown! Would love to have a silkie and Wyndottes but we don't have the room for too many here!
Lisa

Ali Honey said...

The Chook in the bottom photo has beautiful feathers. Very attractive in black and white.

Valda Mason said...

Your Chooks are so lovely, kids had lots years ago, all speckled--- love them. The Ringnecks are not very common in our area, sightings now and them.

Libster said...

love chooks and yours a very pretty ones indeedy. We have a currawong that has taken up local residence. I love to hear our magpies warbling but the currawong also has a lovely call.
One of the local maggies isnt very popular at the momment as he swoops us all as we ride our bikes past his road!!