Sunday 21 October 2012

our national capital........

What a great week.............an excellent chance for some of our parents to attend a school excursion with the kids (and help supervise) to our national capital Canberra. 
I fondly remember my school excursion to Canberra so was very excited to go again.............
the last time I was in Canberra was about 20 years ago going thru to the snow...........
Canberra is so un "city" like...............it is spread out..........lots of big lawns and  open space..............suburbs spaced out............great road network from what I saw............this is what happens when a city is planned..............don't get me wrong there are high buildings...........it is beautiful.......the cooler climate helps too with the trees...............
Cockington Green a display of miniature buildings - either English or a famous building from another country.............it's been going for 33 years............this is a replica to scale of the main building.............
the gardens were at their peak....
the weather was perfect............
.....it was wonderful to see tulips as it is to warm where I live to grow them............
Black Mountain Tower.................gorgeous views of Canberra from here................
Sculptures somewhere in Canberra................
and everywhere in this park it looks like snow see all the white fluffy stuff............it was coming off some trees and it was horrible..............floaty and wafting around................up your nose and in your mouth if you weren't careful............
New Parliment House............opened in 1988............
Australian War Memorial...........up in the arch windows down both sides are walls with all the soldiers names who have died fighting in wars/conflicts for Australia..............I found my great great uncles name and placed a poppy in the wall.............
Looking from the front of the War memorial back over lake Burley Griffin (narrow light strip) then Old Parliament House (white building) up to New Parliament House (see flag just at the top of the hill)................this is a very impressive view from both New Parliament House and the War Memorial...............well planned............
We stayed for the closing ceremony..........the lone piper played and then turned and walked as he played into the tomb of the unknown soldier and then the gates on the tomb closed............ 
We did lots more............but these are my highlights............still catching up on sleep...........and so pleased we have no stairs in town............I am so not used to them.........my knees were killing and everywhere we went there was lots of stairs..........
&&&
last time I posted it was cold.........yesterday was a stinker.............today got warm then the clouds came over and we had a few spots of rain but nothing to measure.........the weather is so changy.........
&&&&
hope you have been busy with your Secret Santa Christmas Swap or SAL quilts.............
sorting the binding for my quilt tomorrow.............
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue

27 comments:

Khris78 said...

Wow sounds like great and very busy week !!!!

gracie said...

Thank you for taking me along on a lovely trip...

Susan said...

I was just wondering today where you have been. And now I know. Kids excursions can give such a good overview of a city, thanks for sharing all your great pics.

Noela said...

I have never been to Canberra. I must go one day. I enjoyed your photos. Hugs....

suzitee said...

I have never been into Canberra...just the outskirts to get to the snow. Looks like you had a wonderful time! I really must get there one day. I've just sewn the binding onto my SKoW quilt...looking forward to seeing yours :)

Chocolate Cat said...

We lived in canberra for a while and I love it, a great place for families. Looks like ou saw a lot!

Anonymous said...

thankyou for the pics chooky,i have never been to Canberra,i hope to one day.Silly weather we are having.xx

Grethe said...

Great non-quilting post!! Lovely seeing pics of the city of Canberra; nice colours from the waterside,the flowers together with all the grey stone buildings :-)

Cheryll said...

Looks like a great trip. My brother lives there so I visit quite often.. still enjoyed it again with this post! :)

Unknown said...

I don´t have the right words to describe how beautiful I think your capital city is. The gardens are like they are from a fairy tale.

Susan said...

Great pictures of Canberra - lovely to visit.....

Maria said...

It has been a few years since I visited Canberra. Thanks for sharing the photos . Brought back nice memories..
Oh yes lots of SSCS sewing..Shhhhh!!

Cathy said...

Great highlights...I went to Canberra at 18 and loved Cockington Green....did you find any quilt shops though??

SG said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing a bit of your country!

Maria said...

Lovely photos Chookyblue :-) Canberra is a favourite place of mine to visit. Had never been there for Floriade though but finally got there 3 years ago :-)

Sue SA said...

THanks for the pics, been a few year since we visited ACT and now the kids are older I think another trip is in order!

Sandy said...

Your photos are superb! The nicest things to come out of Canberra in some time!!

Cat said...

WOW you make me want to visit Canberra! I must say when my Dad n Step Mum visited a couple of years ago the roading and public transport were things they raved about too.
One day . . .

Jeanneke said...

Thanks for taking me back to Canberra by your beautiful pictures! I visited Canberra in November / December 2009, while I was staying with friends in Jerrabomberra :>) On that same journey I also spent time in Perth and Sydney.
I have become a follower of your blog.
Please keep showing pictures of your amazing spot on the globe down under.
Cheers!

Jeanneke.

Sheryl said...

Lovely photos of Canberra, I've been there a few times, it's very neat and tidy compared to Melbourne and Sydney, clearly well planned....
We are having topsy turvy weather here as well, some of it is very good sewing weather though.....

limpingalong said...

Sounds like a great trip and your pictures are beautiful. Glad you were able to go.

Linda said...

Looks like a great trip...what a pretty place!

Valda Mason said...

You packed a lot into your trip. I haven't been to our Capital much and love your photo's and descriptions. A lovely city to visit sometime.

Jenny said...

Hey sounds like a fun trip. NIce pics. Better add more steps to the chook House LOL...

Tatkis said...

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Josie said...

Thanks for the mini tour of Canberra. It looks like a really beautiful place. Glad you got to go again.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Looks a great trip Chooky....lots to see and do in Canberra....I love the War Museum...if ever you are in Canberra let me know and maybe we could catch up xo